Residents learn to plan their own meals, to maintain a home, in addition to being educated in basic child care skills.
Mary’s Shelter provides an expectant mother, and any additional children she may have, with housing for up to three years in order to further her education and/or secure employment. She must receive counseling, attend in-house parenting and life-skill classes and adhere to the program covenants which offer structure, self-discipline and guidance.
Each resident is blessed with a mentor who provides hands-on support, compassion and encouragement. This foundation ensures that our mothers have the necessary time and tools to work toward their goals and provide for their children, making the possibility of independent living a reality.
- Cultivate and communicate an awareness of God’s love for each unique person
- Ensure the health of mother and baby
- Inspire self-respect and personal motivation
- Develop confident, loving and positive parenting
- Foster a successful transition to independent living
Our volunteers help residents to navigate the local housing market and secure future housing.
We support residents in attaining their GED as well as earning college credits.
Mary’s Shelter, acting as facilitator, will:
- Secure necessary housing
- Coordinate benefits with local government agencies
- Help with transportation needs
- Provide Education and Employment assistance
- Counsel in mothering skills
For each woman supported, Mary’s Shelter seeks to achieve:
- Prenatal Care
- A Welcomed Baby
- Successful completion of GED program, if needed
- Completion of prenatal, parenting, and life skills training
- Transition to independence
- Job security